Skills training is for individuals experiencing problems in everyday living. In fact, Dr. Maynard believes most people can benefit from skills training. Challenges for which this training has proven effective include:
- Alcohol and substance use.
- Compulsive sexual behavior.
- Hopelessness about finding anyone who can help or understand one’s suffering, and despair of being able to recover.
- Self-esteem, self-blame, hopelessness, expectations of rejection, and preoccupation with danger.
- Chronic interpersonal difficulties.
- Impulsive aggression.
- Mood disturbance, such as anxiety (including panic and phobias), depression, and anger or aggressionEmotion regulation, including difficulty with modulation of anger, avoidance, self-destructiveness.
- Attention problems, including dissociative episodes and depersonalization.
- Self-perception problems, such as a chronic sense of guilt and responsibility, and ongoing feelings of intense shame.
- Medical problems that relate directly to the type of abuse suffered and resultant physical damage, or that diffusely involve all body systems.
Think you might benefit from Skills Training? Call me.